“Utilization of the iScreen system has been very beneficial in helping to identify potential vision problems of our pediatric population.”
Mercy Children’s Clinic,
Child-friendly, fast, and easily administered…
Child-friendly, fast, and easily administered by physicians or their staff, iScreen Vision photoscreening technology is as simple to use as a digital camera and provides comprehensive, accurate pediatric vision screening in seconds. iScreen Vision can be used from anywhere in the world – requiring nothing more than a nearby Ethernet connection and a standard electrical outlet. iScreen’s rechargeable battery makes it truly portable and easy to use without interference from cords or wires.
The Science of iScreen
iScreen Vision uses a patented process of image capture and pattern recognition analysis developed over a decade ago by iScreen Vision and its medical advisers in partnership with the U.S. Army Missile Command in Huntsville, AL. The process utilizes a sophisticated set of rapidly timed flashes at different angles to capture “red reflex” images of the eye, creating light patterns on the images that trained technicians can analyze to screen for potentially serious vision problems in young children.
The Screening Process
The simple steps outlined below are all it takes to screen a child for potentially serious vision problems.
- Allow the child’s eyes to dilate naturally in a semi-dark room for 1 minute.
- Enter the patient’s name and age using the device’s built-in keyboard.
- Hold the iScreen scanner about one meter (3 feet) from the child.
- Align iScreen Vision’s LED focusing beams on the child’s forehead; this will indicate the ideal position to capture a clear image.
- Press the shutter button and iScreen Vision flashes just like a camera capturing two images in rapid succession. The entire process takes only seconds.
- The image is immediately displayed on screen to ensure a clear image was captured.
- One keystroke sends images and information via an Ethernet connection to iScreen Vision Central Analysis for an independent clinical review by a trained technician.
- All information is kept strictly confidential and HIPAA compliant.
- A full patient report is usually returned to the physician before the patient leaves the office – typically within minutes.
- Results indicate whether the patient passed or failed screens for the most common vision abnormalities; allowing the doctor to refer the patient to an eye care specialist for diagnosis and treatment.
- Patient images and data are securely stored and maintained at iScreen Vision Central Analysis for historical comparisons and easy future retrieval.
- Staff can charge the unit overnight; providing cordless, worry-free use all day.